profile friends art refresh follow

This is a personal blog. You'll find all sorts of things about me here, from stories of my mundane everyday life to my adventures on different parts of the world. I especially love going to cafes, taking pictures of them, and talking about them. :)

Thanks for dropping by!
♥ Irene

▶ All photos belong to me unless otherwise stated. Please do not take without permission, thank you!

Credits
Template was made by
Miichiko. Thanks to Pixel-diary for the cute pixels and icons.


First steps in Taiwan
Thursday, March 7, 2013 | 2 comments
I arrived in Taipei at 2 in the morning, and to the dorms an hour later. I was already really tired then but check-in took longer than it should. When that was finally done, I'd expected the guy over at the front desk would help me bring my things up. He hadn't. Worst part is, one of my bag's wheel was broken, so it made a really loud noiseas I dragged it behind me. Afraid I would wake other people up, I put my other stuff down and lifted the damn thing. My back hurt like hell the next morning. ;_;

The area I'm staying at is pretty remote. It has a small supermarket, a 7-11, watson's, and McDonalds so it's not that bad, but all the places worth visiting in Taipei are at least a 40 minute bus ride. Shopping areas too. And the closest MRT is a 20 minute walk, so I haven't been to a lot for the week and a half that I've been here. Each time I try to wander off by myself, I end up getting lost. I find my destination, but coming back to the dorms has always proved to be a challenge. Life is hard without google maps & 3G. :(


Taiwan main station

First time I went on an "adventure" by myself was a trip to the Taipei City Mall. It had a long strip of stalls that sold clothes, accessories, games, and a lot of other random stuff you just want to buy just because. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see everything because just finding the mall wore me off more than I had expected. And of course, I got lost on my way back as well.






They had a lot of vintage-y stores that I'm sure Aleyn & Val will love! A lot of these stores didn't allow photos so I couldn't take any more. :(




Performances from Japan for a Japan-Taiwan event was being held there.


I stopped by a cafe called Morita on my way to Taipei City Mall. It had luscious looking cakes displayed and I just couldn't help myself. Upon entering, a waitress asked me if this were my first time. I nodded and she began explaining how their cafe worked. Apparently, it was 2pm, which was tea time-- so ordering a lunch meal will cost me an additional fee. Tea time, however, consisted of unlimited cakes, salad & tea/coffee for 263 NTD (approx. 360PHP). I wanted to leave so bad. Anyone who knew me in the Philippines knew that given the choice, I will not go for veggies. I was already seated and I couldn't just walk away, so for the past hour, I buried myself in cake and coffee.


Salad buffet! Euck!

Going around to see places in Taipei takes a lot of time and energy for me, especially because I can't speak or understand the language. Also because my school ends at 3, and everything else is really far away, oftentimes, I'd rather just spend the rest of my day somewhere close by. So there's this cafe I frequent now called Apt Cafe. Though it's not the quietest place to be, the place has a really relaxing ambiance, as well as great food and a really fat bombay cat! <3





















This is the owner's cat. S/he's just like Echo. ; u ;


New tights. :>




Best strawberry latte I have ever tasted! Also, I don't particularly like smoked salmon, but I really loved it in this one! The dish contained mashed potatoes on the bottom, cheese on top, and smoked salmon in between. Yum-my!

School has been okay, I've learned way more in 5 days than I've ever had in the 14 years I spent in ICA. I'm studying at the National Chengchi University's Chinese center. I'm in a total beginner class and it's all been going well, but I'm considering asking the teacher to put me in a slightly higher class. Just really slightly higher. :))


After school snack with my classmates Kana(Japanese) and Jun(Korean), and my roommate, Emily(Korean).

Also!
I saw this the other day:

I thought at first "aw cuuuute!" because he had a human baby and a baby poodle on the front basket, but when I realized another poodle was hanging from that person's back, I didn't know how to react. Isn't that borderline animal abuse?? O:

Aaaand, that ends my first post!! Thanks for reading!

FUTURE
PAST